Past Tense Timeline 英文過去式時間線
Simple Past Tense 簡單過去式 (with example sentences)
1. Past actions with a definite past time (specified/ implied)
I met him last Sunday .
I did not see him this afternoon.
Example 1: 指明事情係發生於 "last Sunday"
Example 2: 用 "this afternoon" 表明咗而家嘅時間已經過咗中午時分。
2. Past habits
I played basketball every day when I was in high school.
I went swimming weekly last year before covid.
3. Past actions / states happening one after another (Usually immediately)
I woke up and brushed my teeth.
When I phoned her, she arrived.
大家要記得喺呢一類句式入面，兩個 actions 都會用 Simple Past Tense，而先提到嘅 actions 會被認為係先發生嘅。
Past Continuous Tense 過去進行式 (with example sentences)
1. Actions happening at a particular time in the past
Were you having a lesson at 11 a.m. yesterday?
I was going back home at 10 last night.
特顯「行為嘅持續性」正正就係 Past Continuous Tense 同 Simple Past Tense 唔同嘅地方。
I went back home at 10 last night.
2. To describe two past actions that happened simultaneously
My dad came back while mum was cooking yesterday.
Mum was cleaning the house when I was studying yesterday.
通常係呢種場景入面，「較長的行為」會用 Past Continuous Tense (例句一嘅 was cooking 就係持續性較長的行為)，而「較短的行為」就會用到 Past Tense (例句一嘅 came)。
Mum cleaned the house when I was studying yesterday
3. Gradual changes / trends in the past
The birth rate was rising in the 1980s but it is now falling.
出生率在 80 年代上升，不過現在正在下降。
The kids were growing day by day and they are all grown-ups now.
Example 1 入面嘅 “The birth rate was rising in 1980s” 正正就係表達緊係 1980 - 1990 年間出生率係一直上升。
4. Regular unplanned actions in the past (often annoying/ unwanted)
My kids were always playing computer games. That’s why I set a time limit for them to play.
The banker was continually calling all day so I have blocked his number.
Example 1 入面，家長先發現到小朋友經常上網玩遊戲，由於呢個係一個唔想要嘅行為 (unwanted)，所以會有 set a time limit 嘅行為。
5. Temporary situations in the past
They were living with me during their trip in Hong Kong.
My neighbour was making so much noise last week since he needed to practise the drum for the competition today.
Past Perfect Tense 過去完成式 (with example sentences)
1. To link a completed past action to a later time in the past
I had already finished all my homework by 7 p.m. last night.
我昨晚 7 時便已經完成了我所有功課。
I hadn’t tried alcohol by the time I was 18.
我在 18 歲之前從未嘗試過飲酒。
Example 2 表達咗由我出生到 18 歲都從未嘗試過飲酒，而我而家亦過咗 18 歲。
2. To link two related past actions
I had planned to go cycling yesterday but I did not do so as it was raining.
The thief had just left when the police arrived.
- Past Perfect Tense 係指先發生嘅行為 (1st action)
(就好似 Example 1 入面，「計劃」係先發生嘅行為)
3. An action that started in the past and was still ongoing at a later time in the past
I hadn’t had a chance to swim for a year until this month.
He had not been willing to run with me until last week.
呢個應用場景其實同 Past Perfect Continuous 好相似，不過因為有啲動詞係沒辦法喺一個 Perfect Continuous 嘅層面使用（例如state verbs, linking verbs, speech act verbs 等），喺呢啲時候，用 Past Perfect Tense 就係一個比較好嘅選擇。
Past Perfect Continuous Tense 過去完成進行式 (with example sentences)
1. Actions started before a time in the past which had finished before that time
Dad had been waiting in the rain so his shirt was wet when I met him.
Dad had been waiting for a while before I finally arrived.
Dad had waited for a while but I finally arrived.
同 Example 2A 唔同，Example 2B 表達嘅係一種已完成嘅狀態。(爸爸只需等一會兒，就沒有再等，與此同時 "我 "亦來了。)
2. Repeated planned actions continuing in the past
I had been going jogging every day for a month before the lockdown.
I had been visiting Disneyland once every year since I was young until last year.
3. Actions started in the past which were still ongoing up to a later time in the past
He had been revising before Dad came back yesterday.
He had been revising for 6 hours before Dad came back yesterday.
以上嘅句子入面用咗 “had revised” 即係指係爸爸回來之前，溫習呢項行為已經完成。
English Grammar Past Tense Exercise (4 types of Past Tense)
- She ______________________ (watch) this performance two years ago and still cannot forget it even today.
- I ______________________ (not go) to the party last night because I ______________________ (be) sick.
- By the time the delivery came, the problem __________________________ (already solve) itself.
- She still ____________________________ (not come) to her senses when the winner ____________________________ (announce).
- We ______________________ (dance) along to Tchaikovsky’s music when we suddenly ______________________ (hear) a terrible noise.
- “What ____________________ you ____________________ (do) at 10 p.m. last Saturday?” The police officer asks the suspect.
- When the young heiress took over the business at twenty-four, her cousin _________________________________________ (already run) it for ten years.
- Michael ______________________________ (stay) with his divorced mom since he ________________ (be) seven. Later, when he ________________________ (turn) eleven, he ____________________________ (move) to his dad’s.
- She watched this performance two years ago and still cannot forget it even today.
- I did not go to the party last night because I was sick.
- By the time the delivery came, the problem had already solved itself.
- She still had not come to her senses when the winner was announced.
- We were dancing along to Tchaikovsky’s music when we suddenly heard a terrible noise.
- “What were you doing at 10 p.m. last Saturday?” The police officer asks the suspect.
- When the young heiress took over the business at twenty-four, her cousin had already been running it for ten years.
- Michael had been staying with his divorced mom since he was seven. Later, when he turned eleven, he moved to his dad’s.